“My relationships and the aftermath”—El-Rufai breaks silence on friends who remained silent amid his travails

0

GistReel

Former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai has addressed the silence of some of his former colleagues, friends and associates during his current legal challenges, saying he does not resent those who have chosen not to stand by him.

El-Rufai made the remarks in a statement titled “My Relationships and the Aftermath”, dated September 23, 2026.

‘I did not stand by people for reciprocity’

The former governor said he had supported people and causes over the years because he believed it was the right thing to do, rather than in expectation of praise, gratitude or a future return of the favour.

He said his decisions had been guided by his Islamic faith, Arewa upbringing, personal values and conscience.

I did so not in expectation of praise, gratitude or reciprocity, but because I believed it was right.”

El-Rufai added that the choices he made were his own and that he remained responsible for them.

‘They are free to make their own choices’

Addressing the silence of some people he had previously supported, El-Rufai said they were free to decide how to respond to his present circumstances.

He said some might speak out, while others could remain silent or even distance themselves from past relationships.

Their reasons are their own, and I do not wish to judge them merely because their response differs from what others—or even I—might have expected.”

‘Adversity has a way of illuminating relationships’

El-Rufai said difficult periods could change how people viewed their relationships and expectations of one another.

He said his experiences in recent months might lead him to reconsider some relationships, but stressed that such reflection should not be interpreted as condemnation.

That is neither reproach nor condemnation; it is simply part of seeing people, and life, more clearly.”

‘I bear no resentment’

The former governor said he had no regrets about standing by people or causes when he believed it was right to do so.

He also said he would not resent anyone who chose not to reciprocate his support.

I would rather remain true to the principles that have guided my own conduct than allow the conduct of others to redefine them.”

‘I seek neither revenge nor retribution’

El-Rufai further said he would not seek revenge over any injustice, ingratitude or injury done to him.

Ultimate accountability belongs to Almighty Allah, and I leave that judgment to Him, in this world and in the Hereafter.”

His statement comes as he faces ongoing legal proceedings. On September 22, the Federal High Court in Abuja fixed October 26 to rule on his no-case submission in the alleged unlawful telephone-interception case.

El-Rufai has pleaded not guilty to the amended five-count charge.

He is also pursuing a separate fundamental-rights case over the search of his Abuja residence, with proceedings adjourned to October 27.

El-Rufai concluded his statement by saying his priority was to remain at peace with his conscience and with Almighty Allah.



from GistReel https://ift.tt/vBJrAnh
via IFTTT

Post a Comment

0Comments

Thanks for visiting.
The 9jatread team appreciate you.

Post a Comment (0)
To Top